Skip to content

Winfrith Site

Winfrith is located on a 84 hectare site in Dorset. It was constructed in the 1950s to enable vital research into reactor design.

The site housed nine experimental reactors at various times with only two remaining today, both of which are being decommissioned.

Key priorities 2024-5

  • Continue to reduce the legacy waste inventory and despatch very low level waste consignments for permanent disposal.
  • Progress non-active commissioning reports to decommission the Dragon reactor.
  • Complete Steam Generating Heavy Water reactor crane structure repairs.

Location

Ask a question

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

In pictures

Key facts

1957

Construction began

1991

SGHWR cooling towers demolished

1993

Winfrith technology centre launched

1999

Alpha materials lab – first major plutonium lab to be decommissioned

23 years

SGHWR operated

9

Number of reactors

7

Decommissioned reactors

279

Fuel elements transferred from SGHWR to Sellafield

13 hectares

Land released for re-use